Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What is Cradle to Cradle®?
In essence, Cradle to Cradle® is the name given to describe products that have been designed so that every element or material used in its construction can be either recycled, reused, composted or consumed. Cradle to Cradle Certified™ products are essentially waste-free.
Q: Where does the name Cradle to Cradle come from?
The term was originally coined by Walter R Stahel in the 1970s and made popular by William McDonough and Michael Braungart in their book Cradle-to-Cradle, Remaking the Way We Make Things, published in 2002.
Q: Why do we need to reinvent how things are made? Isn't it enough to Reduce, Reuse and Recycle?
Reduce, reuse and recycle is certainly an important strategy for ensuring we slow down the consumption of the earth's finite resources. However, it is simply a 'less bad' solution to the traditional take, make and waste approach. Cradle to Cradle® reframes the entire process of making products into one that is 100% good or regenerative. It aims to mimic nature where there is no waste, only a continuous, never-ending cycle of growth, decay and regeneration.
Q: Is it really possible to make things without any waste? Surely some must end up in landfill?
The Cradle to Cradle® philosophy is to keep all materials in continuous cycles. It models man-made products on nature's processes, and describes the materials used to make the products as either technical nutrients or biological nutrients. Technical nutrients are limited to non-toxic, non-harmful synthetic materials that won't harm the environment and can be reused without losing quality. This means these materials can be used over and over again for their original purpose without being 'downcycled' and ultimately becoming waste. The biological nutrients are organic materials which will decompose naturally without adversely affecting the natural environment.
Q: What about the other environmental impacts when making Cradle to Cradle Certified™ products, such as energy and water use and carbon emissions?
The goal of all Cradle to Cradle® manufacturing operations is to be carbon neutral and to be powered with 100% renewable energy. Water is regarded as a precious resource and the aim is that effluent from Cradle to Cradle® processes should be clean enough to drink.
This Q & A format was compiled by our good friend and C2CMP Pioneer, Amanda Barry-Hirst @ THIRD ROCK COMMUNICATIONS
Have More Questions!?
Postage & Packing
1. Who will be delivering my parcel?
- All our packages are either sent through the Royal Mail Postal Service if under 2KG or by Courier for our larger and bulkier items. We have found this to be the most reliable and inexpensive way to get you your C2C Certified™ products both for local & international logistics.
- Having the C2C® principles in mind we would much rather have found a company/companies that employ electric cars or peer to peer bicycle deliveries and wind sailing oceanic deliveries and solar glider deliveries we have not yet found a practical solution to this or the right partners, if anyone knows of such a businesses, please get hold of us.
What are the charges for deliveries, both local & international?
- Local UK deliveries - Using Royal Mail - Signed For® allows us to deliver any packages under 2kgs in the UK for £4.10, we subsidise this by 25p, you pay £3.85 so it costs you less. This 2nd Class option takes 2-3 working days.
- European & International Deliveries - Delivering to most countries Globally is done through Royal Mail or Parcel Force World Wide, depending on the weight & destination. Most packages under 2kg's get sent by Royal Mail & cost £15.02. Here is a table of the expected pricing for your delivery. Some prices may differ according to country or weight or dimension, but safe to say these prices are close what you can expect to pay.
- Everything over 2Kg's with be sent by the most cost effective Courier, e.g DHL etc.
- If your Country does not appear on the drop down choice of countries at the checkout, please reach out and we can give you a quote for shipping. ( We can also take payments in Euro's & USD. Please ask for details.)